2015 Clifton Designs

jaspercolorado
Feb 12, 2018

National Forest Road 706 Hike

0 comments

I reposted this from the old forums by Marisa.

Larry and I attempted to find Little Brown Lake, but it eluded us....however the next day Bella and I found Big Brown Lake. This was a pleasant hike about 45 mins up to the lake (and about the same back down) through some lovely Aspen groves and fields of the national forest.

I parked just off Silverlakes Rd and started down Road 706. Almost immediately we had to ford a small stream...well, Bella happily splashed her way to the other side. It was quite a relaxing and easy hike, with only one spot where I had to pick between a "steep" or a "steeper" path up the hill. The lake itself was quite expansive (where are the elk hiding?) and looking at a map, FDR 259 Rd comes close to the southern end of it. After pausing for a few pictures, Bella and I headed back down this scenic little trail.

All in all a delightful hike, and given the water, a good one if accompanied by your dog....and no GPS required.

• jaspercolorado
    Jan 9, 2018

These pictures are a couple of years old but one of the fun posts that I wanted to bring back from the old forum. Winter in Jasper is so much fun.
  • jaspercolorado
    Jan 9, 2018

Here's a great hike some of you might enjoy. The Cat Creek trail is accessed near the Terrace, along Road 250. As you see the first Rio Grande National Forest sign, keep your eyes peeled for the Cat Creek sign. The trail head is obvious and offers handy parking. The first quarter mile of the trail is a little rocky and sometimes wet because it follows Cat Creek. After clearing the first section, it opens up to a lush green meadow with fantastic rock outcroppings. As you continue on the trail, it enters heavily wooded forest offering a most enjoyable trek. The trail crosses Cat Creek many times and gives many opportunities to splash in the cool water of the creek. After the first mile or two, the forest is quite amazing. There is no shortage of logs and tree stumps to sit and enjoy the scenery. A lot of us have been in the area for quite some time yet this trail is one of the least explored. If you're looking for something different to do, this might be just the ticket!
  • jaspercolorado
    Jul 31, 2018

Wightman Fork This is a great trail which is easy to access from Jasper, a short 3 miles away. It is designated "non motorized" and maintains a pristine feeling unlike many area trails which are heavily used by off road vehicles. Continue West on Road 250 for roughly 3 miles until you see the cattle pen on the left. There is an open field here which I believe is National Forest and an ideal place to park for the hike. Someone please correct me if I' m wrong about this. The Wightman Fork trailhead starts near the cattle gates on Road 250. You can see the trailhead forking to the right with an obvious "ROAD CLOSED" sign. Dont be alarmed, this translates to "Road closed to motorized vehicles" and is a designated forest trail for foot traffic. Here is a Google Map link: Wightman Fork Trail Head The hike starts a bit steep for the first mile of which it is switches back steeply over loose broken stone. This section of the trail is the most difficult but not prohibitive in any way. Further, the trail becomes grassy and green with large stretches of shade. There are streams, beaver ponds, wild flowers and even abandoned gold mines to be enjoyed on this hike. Tread carefully and keep an eye on the road and you will notice large patches of wild strawberries. They are small but sweet and delicious. Just As many other trails in the area, this area are often used by hunters in the fall so be safe and wear some orange!